Sunday, May 4, 2008

Women's Conference

BYU is a beautiful campus. This was my favorite spot on campus. I love the popcorn trees.



I was blessed with the opportunity to attend Women's Conference this past week. I have a friend who has gone since 1994 and every year when she comes back, I feel so jealous of her being able to go, be taught, and be uplifted. I haven't gone in the past because of our yearbook business and to go in May, the busiest time, is almost impossible. Well I decided that I really needed to go and that I would accomplish the impossible. I registered in February, along with talking a friend into going with me. I worked so hard to get things caught up for yearbooks. The week before the conference I woke up around 5:30 to get work done so I could go. (I am not a morning person, so this was amazing.) It snowed the first night we were there!

There were opening and closing sessions on both Thursday and Friday. In between those there were 3 classes each day that I got to go to. I had to choose from around 15 classes, which was a tough choice. I had to speed walk to the classes to get a seat, skipping lunch and eating snacks along the way.

In the opening and closing sessions I heard from Sheri Dew, Elder and Sister Bateman, Julie Beck, and the dear prophet, President Monson.

It was freezing. All the mountains had snow on them. The tops of this mountain and the snow are covered by the cool, stormy clouds.



I want to share briefly what I learned from the classes I took.

The theme for the conference was Awake, Arise, and Come Unto Christ. Sister Dew spoke about this topic. We have a powerful influence. She asked each of us what is one thing we could do differently. Imagine if everyone did just one thing to make them a more righteous person, how incredible would that be?

Qualifying for the Influence of the Spirit
One class was about the Holy Ghost.
The Holy Ghost can:
1. Heal troubled relationships
2. Bring a peace of conscience
3. Bring us into a state of righteousness

We can qualify for the Spirit by:
1. Being humble - we're teachable when we're humble
2. Listen - we need to have quiet, contemplative times
3. Have faith and sincerely believe
4. Strive to obey the commandments
5. Serve others - which qualifies to receive and feel the Holy Ghost

Establishing Scripture Reading Traditions
Search, Ponder, Pray
I learned about ways I can incorporate scripture study in our daily lives. We can sing "Scripture Power" when it's time to read scriptures, use worksheets, watch videos which coincide with what's being read, and keep a scripture journal where feeling can be recorded about particular scriptures.

Maintaining Good Physical, Emotional, and Spiritual Health
Life is one grand stress-management assignment.
Stress is a matter of perspective. Think of skydiving. Some people want to do it, others are terrified of it, like me.
Things that can help deal with stress
-deep, slow breathing
-smile
-exercise
-yoga
-be grateful (count your blessings)
-music

The Power of Personal Prayer
Frequent prayer brings daily light.
The best way to lift up your head is to bow it.
The Lord know us and will answer our prayers according to what is best for us.

Establishing Spiritual Patterns in the Home Through Family Home Evening
We need to have family home evening because the prophets have asked us.

Steps for FHE
1. Prepare
2. Create a learning atmosphere
3. Teach
4. Participation from all family members
5. Play together

Raising Daughters and Granddaughters
When you teach (save) a girl, you teach (save) a whole generation.

Teach daughters:
1. Take care of their body
2. Skills, working side by side
3. Modesty at an early age so it becomes a way of life
4. Morality



My birthday flowers, signed by family and friends, brought from home by Amy (which of course made me cry)


President Monson shaking someone's hand




The concluding talk was by President Thomas S. Monson.

He spoke of living in today so that we enjoy the daily journey. He said don't delay or postpone anything that can bring laughter into your life. Don't procrastinate. Make every day in your life a special occasion. He also spoke of adversity. Our mortal life was never meant to be easy. We learn, grow, and are refined through our challenges. No pain or trial we experience is wasted. It builds our character and purifies our hearts.


I loved hearing from the prophet. It was amazing to be in the same building. As he came into the building, everyone stood up. Once he was seated, we all sang "We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet" which is kind of hard to do when you're crying. I have a testimony that President Monson is our living prophet today. He receives revelation from Heavenly Father. I am so thankful to have a prophet who receives inspiration to guide our lives. At the beginning of the conference, Sis. Beck spoke about ancient prophets and how people disregarded what their prophets said. We need to make a conscious effort to listen and obey to the prophet, and not be like those from ancient times.


I loved Women's Conference. I've already told Eric I'm going next year. Obviously, I won't let yearbooks stop me now that I know how much I would miss.

2 comments:

Tami said...

Kim, thanks for inviting me. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot. I wrote down what I learned too. It helped to remember and reflect what I learned too. I hope you don't mind. I loved reading about the classes that I didn't attend, especially the daughter class. Thanks for sharing!

Micah said...

Just curious if you ever post your scrapbook pages?