Thursday, May 22, 2008

School's Out!!!

One of our traditions is to get a treat on the last day of school. Usually we go to Water & Ice and get shaved ice. Since there's a QT by our house now & the kids think that is heaven, we went there for the end of the school year treat. The kids' latest favorite snack is hot Cheetos. Spencer spent his own money on an extra bag of them. Lindsey chose FunYuns (those are stinky!). Logan chose gum, which he ate all but one piece in 3 hours. Kaylen chose cheese and crackers and a sucker.
I went in to the school to pick the kids up so I could get pictures with their teachers. Over the speaker system for the school, they were play "School's Out," by Alice Cooper. The kids loved hearing that since they rock out to it playing Guitar Hero.

Lindsey and Mr. Hagen

Mr. Hagen was Lindsey's teacher this year. She did go to the other two teachers (Ms. Brown & Mrs. Allred ) for reading and writing. Mr. Hagen would work very long hours to get everything done. He would be to school by 6:00 in the morning. I would call and ask him if he needed help in the classroom, but he rarely needed my help because of the long hours he (and his wife) put in. Mr. Hagen took care of the kids. He always did special parties for them to celebrate whatever they could. He would also buy snacks and let the kids buy them back from him for a cheap price. He rewarded the kids often with subs from Ned's Krazy Sub. I decided that a gift card from there would be a nice teacher gift for him. When I went to buy it, I mentioned that my daughter's teacher was always buying subs from there for his class. The worker knew him by name and said he knew him well. Mr. Hagen is retiring this year. We hope to see him next year as a sub.


Spencer and Mrs. Grove

This was the second year Spencer had Mrs. Grove for his teacher. He had her last year in 2nd grade. She moved up to 3rd grade, and kept Spencer in her class. I was able to help out a lot during the year. I got to know Mrs. Grove better and am grateful for that. Mrs. Grove has a son who plays football, so she and Spencer always talked about football. Mrs. Grove has a tremendous love for reading, one that I think has influenced Spencer and his reading skills.


Logan and Ms. Slocum

Does Ms. Slocum look old enough to retire? No Way! But she is. Logan has been my only child to have her as a teacher, and I am so glad he did. I feel like Lindsey and Spencer missed out not having her as their teacher (although, Lindsey did have a fantastic teacher - Mrs. Woods). I was able to help out from time to time in Logan's class. I am still in awe of how Ms. Slocum handled all those 5-year olds. Logan has definitely grown and learned tons this year. He can read already.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again - my kids have had the most awesome teachers in school. I am amazed by their abilities, knowledge, and patience. If I think about it (which I try not to) tears come to my eyes because we have been so blessed to have these wonderful teachers. I am forever indebted to them. Thank you Mr. Hagen, Mrs. Grove, and Ms. Slocum. We love you!

2 comments:

Tami said...

What a fun tradition to take the kids out after school. My kids had Mrs. Slocum and Mrs. Grove too. Josh went to Mr. Hagen for math. They are awesome teachers. I really enjoyed Mrs. Slocum and I'm going to miss her. I wanted her to teach Emily in kindergarten, but she still has a couple more years. Dani had Mrs. Grove and she challenged her and helped her develop her love for writing and reading. My kids have had great teachers at Porter.

White Family said...

What a great tribute to teachers. These teachers sound like they really go above and beyond doing what they do! I also love the tradition you do of getting an end of the school year treat, how fun! Getting a picture with your teacher at the end of the year is such a great idea too. I really wish my mom had done that with us. I remember loving a lot of my teachers growing up but I can't remember what they looked like, or even their names! Also, I love the new background, very adorable!