Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day


A belated "Happy Mother's Day" to all the women I know, whether you're a mom, my mom, a grandma, a sister, or a friend. I love the influence that women can have and I think Mother's Day is a day to recognize and celebrate that.

I missed being able to go to church because I stayed home with Spencer - he was sick. Eric had bought me a corsage for church, so I wore that at dinner. I didn't get to stand up after sacrament meeting and get THE MOTHER'S DAY treat. That's ok, because I knew what it was - I helped get them together! Eric, a boy in ward, and me put together the Mother's Day treats on Saturday night. It was a Hershey's candy bar with two quotes (tied to the candy with ribbon) by President Spencer W. Kimball. The ward also handed out a rose. Logan got one for me and carried it throughout Primary. It had about 5 petals by the time it made it home.
President Kimball says exactly what I was trying to say in my opening paragraph:


"No greater recognition can come to you in this world than to be known as a woman of God. No greater status can be conferred upon you than being a daughter of God who experiences true sisterhood, wifehood, and motherhood, or other tasks which influence lives for good."

"We have all been blessed with special women in our lives, women who have had a deep and lasting influence upon us. Their contribution has been and is most important to us and is something which will be of everlasting value to us."

Eric had to go to church early, so I didn't get breakfast in bed. He and Lindsey set the table for me to have cereal for breakfast. Eric did fix dinner with Spencer. He barbecued chicken on the grill, with the gas running out mid-way through, which flavors the meat interestingly.



Logan's kindergarten teacher is retiring this year, so her assistant has been working on putting together a scrapbook for her. She had called me and asked for my help. I told her, that because of yearbooks, the only time I could work on it was on Sunday. She brought over the stuff plus a yummy plate of brownies (extras from the ones she made for her ward because her bishop was only going to hand out flowers and "women need chocolate," she told me). At first I was overwhelmed, because the only scrapbooking I do is mini books, usually during a class. All I had was paper and pictures to convert into cute pages. Eric was very good to let me work on it during the afternoon and evening. He made and cleaned up dinner while I worked away. I completed 8 pages. They're simple, but I did it!

1 comment:

Tami said...

I sorry that you missed church on Sunday. I hope Spencer is feeling well. Even on Mother's Day, you are being a great mom. I saw Logan with your flower, it was so cute to watch him with it. He must have been so honored to take of it for you. Thanks for helping with the candy bars and sayings. I never thought about who makes the nice treats we get for Mother's Day. Now I know. I'm very sad to hear that Logan's teacher is retiring. I was hoping she could teach Emily in kindergarten. I know it's several years away, but I was hoping I could make it happen. Oh well. Sorry for rambling on.