Monday, June 30, 2008

What a Release!

Eric has been released as the second counselor in the bishopric in the Kingsborough Park Ward.

This happened yesterday, June 29th. It all started the Sunday before that, the 22nd, we received a call from the stake requesting us to come in and visit with them. Right when Eric told me, I felt a weird pain in my stomach and thought, "no, it's not time yet." Eric knew, after asking the bishop who he should have speak in sacrament meeting and being told that the bishop would take care of it, that something was up. After the phone call, he knew that he would be released.
We visited with President Fleming, who I love. We talked about our feelings and experiences we've had during the last four years that Eric has served as second counselor. We had originally planned to move 4 years ago, and after talking with Pres Fleming (who has been Eric's scout leader and bishop), we felt that we should stay where we were and broke the contract for the new house. Shortly after that, Eric was put in the bishopric with Bishop Judd. After two years Bishop Judd was released (and Eric) and Eric was called again to be a counselor to Bishop Johnson.
Having Eric serve where he has served has been one of the most difficult things I have done and been through. But with "trials" we are blessed. We have been blessed immensely by his service. Both our testimonies have been strengthened.
As part of Eric's calling, he has worked closely with the Scouting program. He built great relationships with the boys he worked with. It was hard at times to see how much work and effort he put into the boys (and not be jealous), but it has been amazing that he could be such a good influence for them. There have been issues with some of the scout outings, some where we've thought they were all lost (they were never lost; they knew where they were), helicopter rescues (two, one of the times Eric was the one who was severely hurt and in critical condition), and other minor issues. I've spent many sleepless nights while they would be gone on outings, hoping and praying for their safety. As a result, my testimony of prayer has grown incredibly.
It has been a very hard week for us, knowing about Eric's release. Eric had to get up and speak yesterday during sacrament meeting. It was very difficult for him. He did a fantastic job sharing his testimony and experiences. I am grateful for Eric's worthiness and being willing to serve (even though he was scared of doing so). It's been quite a blessing to our family.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yesterday when Eric called and I told Tab about the conversation, he got himself up to be there for Eric. Tabs words to me were that Eric was always there for him when they served together and he will always be grateful for the tremendous support he offered him. Thank you both for your years of selfless service. I agree with you, it is one of the hardest things to do but well worth the blessings that follow. Thanks again and we love you guys.

huneybezzz3 said...

I know it has been hard for you to sacrifice all the time that your husband has spent doing the tasks of his calling as well as dedicate so much time to the boys(one being mine:)). I appreciate all you have done to allow that to happen. I appreciate the time he has spent teaching the boys and allowing them to experience the world in a way I never would have been able to do. Thanks to the both of you. You guys did a great job and I will never forget it.

Tami said...

Jim has loved working with Eric. It's been neat to see him work with the boys and improve the scouting program. Before Eric came into scouts, Jim struggled with wearing two many hats. He didn't have the help that was needed to pull off a great scouting program. He appreciate the help, enthusiasm that your husband brought to the scouting program. I can't even imagine the time that your family devoted to his calling. You will be blessed for that. It was neat to see Eric pass the sacrament with boys. He will continue to be a great example to the boys in the years to come. Thanks for your service.