Friday, June 27, 2008

Father's Day

I realized as I was going through pictures, that I did not post anything for Father's Day. I feel bad, because I have great fathers in my life.

Eric is a great dad. He is a good playmate and friend for our kids (I guess because he's a kid-at-heart). I made Eric cinnamon rolls on Saturday since I would have had to wake up way too early on Sunday to get them done before his early morning bishopric meeting. The kids went shopping and helped pick out presents for him. They picked out puzzles (which are done already), candy, camping equipment, and socks. I also made a mini book for him.



I have the best dad in the world. He is a great friend to me. My dad loves to travel (that's where I must have gotten it from). As a child, our family would go on lots of family trips. My dad would spend hours planning these trips, often dragging out the chalkboard to discuss our proposed itinerary. We went to Disneyland every year, usually at Spring Break. Every summer we went to Utah, often extending the trip to Yellowstone.

In November, my dad had to have heart surgery - a quadruple bypass. It was quite a shock and an eye-opener. It helped me realize how fragile life is. My dad has done remarkably well recovering from the surgery, but it was definitely a scary experience (especially seeing him in ICU just after his surgery). During this experience, we were all strengthened as a family. My testimony of prayer and fasting grew immeasurably. When I prayed about my dad I had a strong feeling that he would be ok. Then, when the doctor discovered that surgery was needed, I didn't understand. But now, months later, I realize that my prayer was totally answered and my dad is ok, it just wasn't my preferred method. I am so thankful that Heavenly Father guided my dad's doctors and prolonged my dad's life. Dad, if you do ever read this, I love you so much and am so glad you're my dad and that you're a part of my life.

No comments: