Istanbul, Turkey was amazing!! This was Eric's favorite place we visited. We hired a private guide for our group - us and two other couples. Our guide took us around to all the popular spots. We saw the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia - which are quite popular. Before disembarking the boat, they had told us that if we planned to visit these places we needed to wear closed-toe shoes and pants to show respect.

Istanbul was not quite what I expected. It was a large, bustling city. We learned a lot about history and culture. We went to the Grand Bazaar, which we would still be lost in if we didn't have our guide. We ate traditional food, which was very good. We went to a rug making place. Janie, Eric's work partner, purchased a rug from there. Oh yeah, Istanbul is in Asia, so now I've been to three continents! As modernized as this city was, I was shocked when I went to a public restroom and found that it was literally a hole in the ground! I would have taken a picture if it didn't stink so bad.
A picture with some of their writing - which I love.
This is a fountain where people could wash up before entering the mosque

This is the best picture! This is Janie. We decided we wanted to buy some cherries from this nice old man. We bought them, then I asked them to stand by the cart so I could take a picture. Just as I take the picture, the guy pinches Janie's butt. Look how shocked Janie is and how happy the "nice old man" is.
Blue Mosque
Our Group - Monty, Julia, me, Eric, Ed, and Janie


No comments:
Post a Comment