Monday, November 10, 2008

Memorable Monday - Chores

So today when I woke up, I wanted to go back to bed and hide from the messy house. Last night after dinner I was completely tired of everything, so I went to bed and laid down. I ended up falling asleep at 7:30 at night (later to wake up at 10, and not be able to go back to sleep until 11:30). Eric and the kids had cleaned up dinner, but things were still messy. It seems that on Sunday since doing chores would be breaking the Sabbath according to the kids, things pile up, get cluttered, or get out of control. So today is appropriately named "Messy Monday." I will dedicate my post to chores and cleaning and avoid the actual cleaning that needs to get done today (the floor is killing me! it's awful).
As a child, I didn't have a chore chart or an allowance. We always seemed to work together with cleaning up after a meal. I remember being a good little cleaner (hopefully that's my parents' opinion too). I would clean my parents bathroom (that was an assigned chore) until my sister got married. Once she got married, another bathroom got added to my chores. I vacuumed, dusted, mopped, and did the dishes. When I had extra time, I would wash the dishes by hand. I thought that was fun. Maybe I was reverting to memories from visiting my grandparents who had to hand-wash their dishes because they didn't have a dishwasher.
I shared a bedroom with my younger sister and would always get so frustrated that she wouldn't clean up her share. Once I got my own room (when my older sister got married), I think I kept it fairly clean.
Today, I still have chores, so many that I don't have time for them all. Lindsey and Spencer have assigned chores that we keep track of on a website. They each have to pick up and vacuum the kitchen and dining room or the living and family rooms. Logan has to unload the dishwasher and empty the trash. I usually end up doing laundry (I'm reluctant to turn that over to anyone because I want it done a particular way), dishes, mopping, vacuuming the upstairs, cleaning the dungeon laundry room, and other miscellaneous chores.

No comments: