Thursday, November 6, 2008

Living in the Ghetto

Who needs to watch Cops when you can watch it from the comfort of your own front yard? Recently we got to watch Cops live. Woo hoo!!! There were (at most times) 4 cop cars surrounding our house. The punk neighbor kids had cause problems, so the police were called. This went on for at least an hour. Our neighborhood has gotten scarier and scarier. We've had the SWAT team on our street before, with our street barricaded. There was a drop house across the street from us. There have been other police-involved happenings, but these are the most memorable.

After the altercation, one of the police officers talked to us about it. It was really no big deal, but from the looks of it, it was concerning. The police officer said to us, "Can I ask you one question? Why did you build a house here?"

I replied, "I ask myself that quite often." It is so weird for our house to be in the ghetto-neighborhood we live in. Last week I saw a group of people pushing shopping carts down a nearby street. Can you say 'white trash?' We built our house here after many prayers and fasting, but I am still wondering why? There has to be a good reason, but I'm not quite sure why we did it. At least I'm close to Target and my scrapbook store. The school is great (minus the papers that get sent home in Spanish). There are some awesome people in our ward too.

1 comment:

The Tiffany's said...

Sounds almost as bad as our house in AZ. I worry about it being unattended there until it closes but I'm GLAD to be out of that neighborhood! Just during our last week there, I was out front and heard several gunshots and then a few days later, 2 kids got hit by a car while riding their bike down our street. I can't believe we survived there for 4 years!