A new thing I'm going to try - Memorable Monday.
It will be an opportunity to blog about childhood memories.
Topic for today: Halloween (how appropriate)
Things I remember about Halloween, as a child
1. my family's traditional meal of hamburger/rice casserole baked in a pumpkin. I would love to make it now, but the pumpkin would go to waste because I would be the only one to eat it.
2. getting ready to go trick-or-treating hours before dusk. I remember attending a 5th grade Halloween party with a friend, and putting on makeup in the bathroom, probably at 4:00 in the afternoon.
3. trick-or-treating without an adult. Can't do that now. : (
4. celebrating Halloween in school with an actual Halloween party. Now my kids have Harvest Festivals, Spider Festivals, Monster Bashes.
5. wearing a pumpkin costume that was made for an 8-year old to a National Junior Honor Society party in junior high school.
6. trick-or-treating with my best friend Jocelyn. (I didn't meet her until 7th grade, so we went trick-or-treating in 8th and 9th grade!) One year Jocelyn was a cloud, a bunch of balloons pinned to her clothes. We also received apples, which we pitched and kicked down the street. We were also told we were too old to go trick-or-treating (probably when we were freshmen in high school).
7. my dad's gorilla mask and black cape that he'd wear and try to scare us with.
No comments:
Post a Comment