Today I went to institute. The lesson was on a talk given by M. Russell Ballard in April 08 General Conference, titled "Daughters of God." This was probably my favorite talk from that session of Conference. It was very hopeful, promising, and encouraging. When we discussed it again today, I had the same feelings, but I also had a stronger feeling: I am a Daughter of God, I am loved, and I have a purpose.
My teacher had 4 women, each from different age groups answer the following questions:
1. What are you concerned about right now?
2. What would you like to accomplish?
3. What do you enjoy doing?
Each women got up and answered the questions. The answers boiled down to: we each have concerns, we each have things we want to do, and we each find joy in our lives. The answer that got me, though, was given by a lady over 50 answering "what do you enjoy doing?" Her answer was very simple, "getting up each morning." She then went on to share that she is a cancer survivor. Sometimes I get so stressed with all that goes on in my life, that I completely fail to find joy in the simple things, unlike this woman.
My answers to the question would be:
1. I am concerned about my kids. I hope that they will have good friends. I hope that they will do well in school and get a good education. I am concerned about Logan's speech and how life will be for him in the future. I worry if I am doing enough to teach and raise my children. I worry about my grandma's and dad's health.
2. I would like to compile all of my recipes into a recipe book. I would like to go one day without yelling or nagging my kids. I would like to get a college degree. I would like to catch up on my scrapbooking. I would like to lose a few pounds.
3. I enjoy my family and spending time with them. I enjoy date nights. I enjoy the nice weather. I enjoy playing and kidding around with my kids.
It's quite interesting how my answers got fewer with each of the questions. It goes to prove a point - there is a lot of joy that I am missing out on because I'm too busy worrying and stressing. It goes back to the quote that President Monson gave in General Conference earlier this month, "Find joy in the journey now."
A couple other thoughts came to my mind during the lesson.
Stop and live today.
Look at where you are in life now, not the future, nor the past.
My teacher had 4 women, each from different age groups answer the following questions:
1. What are you concerned about right now?
2. What would you like to accomplish?
3. What do you enjoy doing?
Each women got up and answered the questions. The answers boiled down to: we each have concerns, we each have things we want to do, and we each find joy in our lives. The answer that got me, though, was given by a lady over 50 answering "what do you enjoy doing?" Her answer was very simple, "getting up each morning." She then went on to share that she is a cancer survivor. Sometimes I get so stressed with all that goes on in my life, that I completely fail to find joy in the simple things, unlike this woman.
My answers to the question would be:
1. I am concerned about my kids. I hope that they will have good friends. I hope that they will do well in school and get a good education. I am concerned about Logan's speech and how life will be for him in the future. I worry if I am doing enough to teach and raise my children. I worry about my grandma's and dad's health.
2. I would like to compile all of my recipes into a recipe book. I would like to go one day without yelling or nagging my kids. I would like to get a college degree. I would like to catch up on my scrapbooking. I would like to lose a few pounds.
3. I enjoy my family and spending time with them. I enjoy date nights. I enjoy the nice weather. I enjoy playing and kidding around with my kids.
It's quite interesting how my answers got fewer with each of the questions. It goes to prove a point - there is a lot of joy that I am missing out on because I'm too busy worrying and stressing. It goes back to the quote that President Monson gave in General Conference earlier this month, "Find joy in the journey now."
A couple other thoughts came to my mind during the lesson.
Stop and live today.
Look at where you are in life now, not the future, nor the past.
No comments:
Post a Comment