Today I took the kids to the Healing Field. This was at a local park, where 3000 flags were displayed. Each flag represented a person who died as result of the terror attacks. Attached to each flag was a card with a person's name, photo, and information about them. I don't personally know anyone who was killed from the attack, so this helped to bring things into perspective. I asked the kids what they thought, and they told me that there were a ton of flags.
Some memories I have of September 11, 2001
Eric woke me up that morning with turning on the tv, showing me what was happening. It was very hard to believe that people would be so incredibly evil and do such a thing. The tv remained on at our house for the days that followed. I was hesitant to send Lindsey to school. Eric and I went out to lunch that day and watched the tv there at the restaurant. It was saddening to see the death count rise. The Scouts in our ward put up flags in the neighborhood. The flags stayed up for at least a week, and I would bring ours in each evening. Flags around the city were at half mast for at least a month. I remember going to a church satellite broadcast (I think it was on a day that was declared a national day of prayer). I was worried about further attacks, wondering if the terrorists would poison our produce at the grocery store.
It was a sad and scary time. It has, however, made me more grateful to be an American and has helped me recognize and enjoy my everyday freedoms and blessings.

1 comment:
I took my kids to see the healing field several years ago. I'm sure they understood the meaning of it all. I would love to take them again now that they know more about September 11th. I think everyone remembers what happened that day and how we felt. We should always remember how we felt and teach our children about patriotism. It's important to remember that terrible day and ponder on our feelings.
Post a Comment