Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Holy Freakin' Thunder!!

Last night I was awakened by a huge thunderstorm that sat above my house (it felt like it) for at least 30 minutes. The huge, thunderous booms woke up Eric, Lindsey, Kaylen, and me. Lindsey and Kaylen ended up in my bedroom on the floor. Kaylen started in bed with me, but then I convinced her to lay on the floor with Lindsey. She never said a word, she just laid there with her eyes wide-opened. (I wonder what was she was thinking.)
I can't even describe how incredibly loud the thunder was. To me, it sounded like bombs were going off. I actually looked out the window for some smoke or some kind of mushroom cloud, as a result of a bomb.
Then the lightening started. It was incredibly bright. I could count to about 1 or 2, at times 5, between the lightening and the thunder. We were right in the middle of the storm. To calm my nerves, Eric mentioned that lightening always strikes the tallest thing. Boy, it's good we have a 2-story house! I wasn't scared, I was just afraid of our house being struck by lightening and catching on fire.
The boys slept right through it. I thought Logan would be the most scared. He was afraid of rain on his window on Sunday night. I called my parents in the morning, who live 1/2 a mile away, and they really didn't notice it during the night. A boy from the neighborhood stopped by our house this morning to talk about the storm. He said his windows got broken during the storm.
It was totally scary last night, but now, looking back, it seemed kind of exciting. Maybe I'm just sleep-deprived.

4 comments:

White Family said...

No kidding!!! I was woken up by it also, and Kyle's been in Tucson for a training so I was a little terrified to say the least. I was just grateful it didn't wake Chase up although I'm extremely surprised it didn't. He wakes up when I tiptoe into his room as quiet as can be but a roaring thundertorm doesn't stir him! Kind of interesting. I didn't even see the lightning. I'm sure that had to be something else!

thepyles7 said...

In Ohio we have been awaken in the middle of the night by tornado alarms. It is always fun to try to get a family of 7 in the basement at 3am.Pets too, we don't want them to end up in Oz.I am glad that you didn't lose any windows.

The Tiffany's said...

We noticed the same thing! We were also stirred to half-sleep during that storm and then again last night! The power was intense, our 50+ year-old single-paned windows were rattling. I'm surprised that none of them broke! I LOVE our monsoon storms!

TF said...

Hey, all! Last night I was online, messing around, and just out of curiosity put in Farnsworth in Google Image Search. Oh, my goodness, I was sick at all the pics of the girls that flew up in the search! It kinda freaked me out! SOOOOO....I am going private. If you would like to be included, send me an e-mail to tappintaani@hotmail.com and I will add you. Sorry to do this, but.......

Taani