Thursday, August 7, 2008

Palmyra

Palmyra Temple

Lindsey, Logan, and Spencer in front of Joseph Smith's log cabin



Frame Home started by Alvin, finished by Smith Family



Hearth where gold plates were hid from mob



We started out our day by driving a few minutes to Palmyra. Spencer, Eric's mom, and I walked around the temple, taking pictures. We then went to the church's visitor center. At both of the church sites we visited (Kirtland and Palmyra), we were lead around by missionaries. In Palmyra, as the sister spoke of the first vision (with the Sacred Grove behind her) I felt the Spirit strongly and am grateful for the opportunity to have my testimony strengthened. We walked through Joseph Smith's cabin and a frame home that was started by Alvin Smith and later finished by the Smith family. In the frame home, we saw the fireplace hearth where the gold plates were hidden from the mob. (I love church history coming to life!)


We then went into the Sacred Grove. I loved being in there. While we were heading for the exit, it started to rain. We were somewhat protected from the rain by the trees, but for some reason we decided we needed to leave the Sacred Grove. So, we made a mad dash for the restroom. There was only one restroom for the girls, so we all crammed in there (6 of us - Eric and Spencer properly went to the boys' room). Oddly enough, that will be one memory I have of the Sacred Grove.






We also went to Hill Cumorah. The view from the top of the hill was awesome - I love the green! Eric, of course, convinced Spencer to roll down the hill. He attempted to roll down, but didn't seem to know how to.




2 comments:

Tami said...

Cute pictures of your family. It sounds like a great vacation. I love the story about your visit to the Sacred Grove. That's classic.

The Tiffany's said...

How coincidental... Joel & Becky just went last month and some of your pictures are very similar to theirs!

That's definitely someplace I would love to visit!