Friday, August 15, 2008

School's In




School started on Monday. I love the beginning of new school years. It's so exciting for the kids to be "one year older." I love the night before the first day of school - packing backpacks, laying out clothes, planning lunches, and father's blessings.

Spencer didn't actually go to school until Thursday because he has still been feeling sick.

I had posted back in June that my Kaylen girl would be going to school on a bus, but the more I thought about it, the more I was not ready for that. After all, she's my baby and I'm not ready to send her away yet. I called the school district and told them I'm not ready for her to go. I didn't get any arguments from them. She has a later birthday, so she has 3 years before she starts kindergarten. Her speech is no where as severe as the boys' speech was. So between my selfishness, time, and her speech, Kaylen is doing preschool at home (at least that's what I'm hoping to do) and I now have a new best friend. She was a little bummed about it, but it was cured by playing a game with her. I can tell she has missed the kids throughout the week. It's fun to see her excitement in playing with Logan after school.
It also gives me a chance to re-commit to being a better mom. Some of my goals this school year include reading daily with the kids, packing nutritious lunches, spending time with the older kids and helping them with their homework (if I can remember how to). During the day, Kaylen and I will do activities together. I want to be the one who teaches her to write, count, and learn her letters. (All my other kids were taught in preschool.) Kaylen and I will go to storytime at the library and go to the Family Fun Van (kind of like a big, learning playgroup done by United Way). I've also got Kaylen signed up to do a dance class with a cousin.
It's going to be a great year!

1 comment:

The Tiffany's said...

Good idea to have the kids hold signs for their pics. Sadly, I missed pics - I was working and forgot to tell Tyler to snap some before he took them to school.