Friday, July 18, 2008

Day 9: Salina

July 14

There's not much to do in Salina. It is a very small town (without a stoplight even). When I was a child the highlights of Salina were the 5&10 (a store where you can buy candy for 1 cent), Grandpa's garden, the dump, and hanging clothes on the clothesline. The dump has since closed (I used to go there with my grandpa and look for things which Grandpa would use to build useful items. He built a bike and a wagon out of different parts he found at the dump.) Grandpa's garden is not there. Grandma planted grass where part of it was, so the kids had a big area to play in. We visited the 5&10; I spent $60 there (which is quite unusual). We did hang clothes on the clothesline.

Grandma bought some snappers or poppers. The kids had fun throwing them all over the driveway. Grandma can be pretty picky about things being neat and clean, so we had to sweep everything up.



I think Spencer had the most fun getting all the wasps and their nests. We got about 30 nests. Some were as big as the palm of my hand.



Grandma is getting older and not moving as good as she used to. She keeps her canned food in her basement. I tried numerous times to talk her into letting us bring some of the cans up so she wouldn't have to and to reduce the risk of her falling. She would not let us. I told her the kids could help and we'd have an assembly line. She said, "If they dropped something that would be a helluva mess." She's usually pretty quiet, but she definitey had an opinion and shared it with us that time.

No comments: