Thursday, July 17, 2008

Day 6: Snowbird - Salt Lake


July 11
We had to check out of the condo by 10:00, which was quite a challenge. It was made even more challenging when I woke up and the clock said 9:11. I quickly showered. As I went to wake up Lindsey, I glanced at another clock, and noticed that it was only 7:30. Kaylen and Logan had played with the clock the previous night, so I woke up a little too early.

I started to head to the west side of the valley so we could go to Kennecott Copper Mine. On the way, I managed to find the Jordan River Temple. While driving along further, I noticed another temple which was being built - Oquirrh Mountain Temple. As I looked closer, I realized that the Moroni statue was being put on. I drove right up to the temple area. The street was lined with cars and a helicopter hovered overhead as we (and many others) watched this event. It made me so excited to watch the temples near my house begin to be built.




We made it to the copper mine. We watched a video and looked at displays. When we were building our house, Spencer became buddies with our electrician. The electrician let Spencer collect the extra pieces of copper (wiring) that had been used for our electricity. Visiting the mine helped Spencer make the connection between the mine and our house's electricity.
We ate at Hires Big H (named after the Hires root beer) for lunch. We then drove around my old neighborhood in West Valley. It's been a long time since I've lived there, but things were semi-familiar. The hill, though, in the front of my elementary school seemed quite smaller - I remember rolling down a larger hill as a child.
Eric had finished his meetings and had a couple of hours before his flight left, so I picked him up and we ate dinner at the Lion House Pantry and walked around Temple Square. After I took Eric to the airport, I took the kids to a park where we listened to a free concert (sponsored by the church). The kids got cold during the concert - our blood must be too thin from living where we do.


We went back to a hotel (for this night only). As I was trying to get everyone ready for bed, Kaylen and Logan played together. They made dinner for everybody with the coffee pot and the luggage rack. They were quite imaginative during the trip. Somehow Kaylen knew what coffee was because one day as we were driving, she pulled out a packet of coffee (that she had swiped from one of the places we stayed at) and declared, "my coffee." Time for a Word of Wisdom lesson...


1 comment:

White Family said...

Mmmm the Lion House Pantry. I'm so jealous that place is amazing! I thought it was hilarious Kaylen, with "her coffee" that's too funny. I think I remember always wanting to take coffe from hotel rooms as a little kid, to make sure we got our moneys worth. My parent shad to assure me that it was more worth it to leave it behind also!