Tuesday, October 26, 2010

An Embarrassment

How could this have happened so suddenly, so quickly, so soon?


I have turned into an embarrassing parent. I never thought that I would become that. I was going to be the cool mom. I guess it all started one morning as I was trying to be the super-cool mom, packing my kids unique lunches for school. I found some brightly colored insulated containers that I could pack hot things in for the kids' lunches to add variety. Well, this morning, as it turned out, we were slightly hurried. I still wanted to pack them some parmesan noodles to eat. I made the noodles, and threw their lunchboxes together, and sent the kids on their way.


Only after the bus had picked them up, did I discover that the flavoring and sauce packet for the noodles was laying on my countertop unopened. I could not stand the thought of my kids eating noodles cooked in milk, water, and butter. I thought they would not eat the noodles and starve. I hopped into the car, sauce packet in hand. I followed the kids' bus (which was easy to catch up to), and hopped out of the car. I walked (ever so cooly) over to the kids, and showed them the unopened sauce packet. I caught Logan's eye, and he stopped. Lindsey also joined us. Spencer, however, would barely make eye contact, shook his head no ever so slightly, and kept on walking.


I opened Logan's lunchbox and sprinkled some of the oh-so-desirable sauce mix on the noodles. I folded the packet, handing the remaining mix over to Lindsey.


It really doesn't sound that bad, does it? Lindsey and Spencer were so embarrassed by it all. Logan, thankfully, hasn't hit that stage yet. I really don't know how it could have been so horrible for them. I was showered. I had my hair and makeup done. I even had on some decent clothes, because I had places to go today. I could have been in non-matching pajamas with bunny slippers. I could have been shouting and waving hysterically at them. I could have started singing, or better yet, dancing. I could have given them a huge hug and kiss. However, just my mere appearance at the school, sauce packet in hand, was not cool for them.


Me, however, it totally makes me laugh and I spend hours upon hours thinking of ways to further embarrass my lovely children.

No comments: