Oh. my. gosh.
This has to be on the top of my "worst travel experiences" list. This ranks right up there with getting stuck in Hawaii (our flight got cancelled, the airlines didn't care if we got re-booked, and running through the airport at 1:00 in the morning to try to catch our flight, kids in tow) and our last flight to London (I took sleeping medicine just as we took off from Charlotte, only to be woken early because we were landing in Philly to change planes, resulting in a vomiting reaction to the medication while on a tour in London because I didn't get the sleep needed for the medicine).
Anyways, so we decided that we'd go to Ohio. It was fairly last minute, so the non-stop tickets weren't available or at a good price, so we got tickets stopping in Chicago. Our flight went great to Chicago. When we got off the plane, our first clue should have been all the people lined up everywhere, along the moving walkways, walls, and anywhere else. All the flights leaving Chicago had been delayed due to weather. We were told our flight was delayed by two hours. We had a leisurely dinner at the airport with the kids. Then we explored the airport as much as we could, trying to kill some time. There wasn't much to do in the airport. I think the highlight of the airport were the Blues Brothers statues. We sat and waited. We waited forever. Eric pulled up on his phone the satellite weather which showed two huge storm systems over Chicago. There was tons of thunder and lightening. What started as a two hour delay, turned into a five hour delay. Lightening was detected less than three miles from the airport, so that was a major issue and created a further delay. The kids were super good. Colton crawled around on the yucky floor. Kaylen and I walked the airport, with Colton in the stroller. I raced her walking while she ran on the moving walkway. I do have to say, that I love ipods and Nintendo DS. They saved me.
We finally got on the plane. It had to have been THE SCARIEST flight I have ever been on. I don't get scared on planes, but on this one, my hands were sweating the whole time (this happens when I'm nervous). We took off between the two storms. It was the shakiest and bumpiest ride I have ever had in a plane. We could hear the plane engine at full blast, and then it would stop and we would start to sink. This was repetitious. The kids were so tired by the time we got on the plane, that they slept through it (except Lindsey and Spencer). We finally got to Columbus at 3:45 am. Eric's grandparents and mom were awesome to pick us up. The rental car places were all closed, so we couldn't get our super-cool minivan until Monday.
This was pretty crazy, and deserved it's own post because it was so bad.
No comments:
Post a Comment