Saturday, July 18, 2009

Grandma B.

On Thursday afternoon (while I was in line at Sonic) my dad called me and told me that Grandma wasn't doing very good. By the time I got home, I felt that I needed to go and visit her. I took Logan and went with my mom to visit my grandma. She was in a coma-like state, with her eyes open gazing off into a corner. Her breathing was very labored. She wasn't responsive to us being there. She would moan every now and then. She would suck water out of a sponge. We sat by her bed for about an hour, me sharing my day with my mom and grandma. When my dad had visited her earlier, as he was leaving he told her he loved her and she did respond by telling him that she loved him.
Friday morning my dad called again and said that grandma was doing even worse. They wanted to give her a sponge bath, which could possibly cause her to stop breathing. He told me that the sooner I could get there, the better. I got ready and prepared the kids with the news, telling them that Grandma would be dying soon, and having a prayer with them before I left. I headed to the care center, with the kids staying home watching Shelly's kids. Grandma's breathing had changed and her eyes were no longer open. My parents and all of my siblings were there. We sat around her bedside, sharing stories and reminiscing about Grandma and Grandpa. We also had a family prayer. My sweet niece sang a song she wrote about seeing Jesus again. We were there for at least 4 hours. The caregiver wanted to give her a bath, so we left the room and waited. We went back in the room, thinking that she could stop breathing. She kept on breathing, so we headed to lunch and then home.
That afternoon I kept thinking that I wanted my kids to be able to say good-bye to Grandma (since I wasn't ever able to with Grandpa when he passed away). We waited for Eric to get home from work, and went to the care center. When we got there, the nurse told us that it wasn't a good time for the kids to come in because she had already stopped breathing a few times within the last 10 minutes. She went and checked on Grandma, and then came back out and told me that I could go in. Eric and I went in. As we walked in, the nurse realized that Grandma had stopped breathing and had passed away in that brief moment. Had I been 30 seconds earlier, I would have been there at her passing. The timing of it all just amazes me. She was a private woman and so was her passing.
We stayed there, saying our goodbyes (knowing we wouldn't be going to Utah for the funeral because of my pregnancy). Each of the kids had their turn to come in and see Grandma one last time. I felt bad for the kids having to deal with death so directly. It was very hard for Lindsey and Spencer. Logan kind of understood and cried. Kaylen was a sweetie and gave Grandma hugs.
As we were driving back home, Eric and I talked of the reunion and the party going on with Grandma and Grandpa and their stillborn son. Eric mentioned to me how Grandma would be raising her little baby at the same time as me. That really touched me.

1 comment:

Tami said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma's passing. What sweet moments to share with her and your family during the last few days.