I was picked to be a chaperone (for which I had to sign a "contract" from the district saying that I would follow certain rules - I've never had to do that for previous field trips with Lindsey & Spencer) for Logan's kindergarten's class trip to the zoo. We went on Thursday, April 3. I was responsible for 4 children - two boys and two girls. Things went pretty good. We rode on a school bus there and back. We saw a puppet show, put on by elderly zoo volunteers. As soon as it was over, the kids were ready to take off.
I'm unsure how old this orangutan is, but it seems like it's been there a couple of years. This is the animal that tops my must-see animals at the zoo because it is so stinkin' cute. Today it was quite active. It dragged its blanket up and down the ladder. It also played on the ladder.
The kids all wanted to see the monkeys. The zoo has a walk-through Monkey Village where the monkeys climb, swing, and fight all around you. The kids loved watching the monkeys jump from tree to tree. It surprised all of us to see the monkeys fighting and hear them screech at each other.
Sting Ray Bay with Sharks is at the zoo. We were able to each go into the tank area and attempt to touch a stingray. When I took my own kids to the zoo in January, Logan did not want to touch a stingray. He did today and thought it was pretty cool. Both the boys in the group, of course, ended up with pretty wet shirts. The sharks were sleeping, so they were at the bottom of the tank not moving - not too exciting.
Teachers
I didn't even spend a whole day with the kindergarteners. I spent 5.5 hours with 4 children one day. I was pretty worn out. Logan's teacher spends 6.5 hours with 25 kindergarten children each day! How do teachers do it? All of my children have been totally blessed to have wonderful, dedicated teachers. I am amazed by their abilities, devotion, and concern.
Spencer's teacher had some medical issues come up and ended up being gone for one and a half months from school. There were different subs most of the days. A lot of the things that were taught were actually review. I (and I hope Spencer) realized how great his teacher is while experiencing a plethora of subs. She was finally able to come back, and I can't express my gratitude and excitement to have her back. It's great! I was able to go help in the classroom yesterday and see, once again, how nice it is to have her back. Each time that I go and help out (usually every Tuesday, splitting days for the different teachers) I am reminded how awesome all of my kids' teachers are. We love them!
No comments:
Post a Comment