Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thankful Thursday

I can't believe it's already Thursday. I haven't done Thankful Thursday for a while, so I decided to take the time to recount my blessings during this busy and hurried season.

The things I'm thankful for this week include (among many other things):



1. Thanksgiving. It was great to have my parents, Shelly's family, my grandma, and a family from the ward over for Thanksgiving dinner (lunch). We had delicious food. Everyone was fantastic at helping clean up the mess. I wanted to do something to help us all remember why we have Thanksgiving, so I made a turkey with feathers. Spencer had the assignment to ask everyone who came what they were thankful for and write it down to make "Tyler the turkey."



2. Decorating. My Christmas decorating is done! Enrichment was Tuesday night, and the women all came to my house. We had a ton of people in the house, but it forced me to get the house decorated (and clean). I set up 3 trees this year. I have my "pretty" tree that is gold and red. In the game room, we have our Ohio State tree that is red and silver, with Ohio State ornaments. Our family tree is in the family room, decorated with all the ornaments we've gathered through the years. I forced everyone to help with the family tree, but it was fun to look back at the ornaments and reminisce about them. Some were "child's __th Christmas" and we'd have to calculate things out to figure out whose ornaments were what. Others were ornaments we've picked up in our travels, like the Waterford crystal snowflake I bought in Waterford Ireland or the double-decker bus from London.



3. Stronger than Cancer blog (see link under blogs I blurk). I discovered this blog yesterday. I actually know the girl who's writing it (she works at my local scrapbook store). Her husband passed away a month ago after his second battle with cancer. I was in tears while I read her blog. It's amazing how strong she is. It's also a very good reminder to appreciate, value, and love those in your life, family especially.



4. Visiting Teaching. I went visiting teaching this morning to one person's house. We ended up staying an hour and a half. It's hard to describe, but I just really enjoyed spending time, talking with her and laughing about parenting.



5. It's Thursday! We're closer to the weekend, and closer to me getting a real haircut. I haven't had one for at least a year. I've been trimming my hair myself. I'm not doing anything drastic, I'm just excited for getting my hair looking better for our family pictures we're taking on Saturday.

No comments: