I intended to do this post last week, closer to Thanksgiving, but time just got away from me. I wanted to blog about past Thanksgiving memories.
Most of my childhood Thanksgivings were spent at home. We rarely went anywhere. I have 3 main memories about past Thanksgivings.
1. My mom's second cousins (I think) used to live about an hour away from us on a dairy farm. Shelly (my sister) and I spent one Thanksgiving eve at "Aunt Debbie's" house. We rode on a 4-wheeler, played Nintendo games, and made spin-art t-shirts (that were totally cool then) which I would wear with the side tied into a knot. It sounds like simple fun, but I remember really enjoying it. On Thanksgiving, they brought us back to my house and we all ate dinner together.
2. One year we (I think it was just my parents, Shelly, and me) went to Cedar City, UT for Thanksgiving. We ate at my grandparents' house, in the living room on their orange carpet. There were quite a few different people my grandma had invited who would have otherwise spent the day alone. The following morning, when we had to leave, it had snowed. I built a snowman (the first in a long time) that was quite small, standing about four inches tall. On the way back home, we drove through the mountains with the snow on them. It was quite a pretty site, and short, but enjoyable visit.
3. Our Thanksgivings at home had the traditional foods. My parents invited a family (the Bentleys) over many years. Sister Bentley made the best cherry cream pie. Her son, Shelly, and I would play Barbies and Star Wars before and after eating. I have quite a vivid picture in my head of sitting on the grass, playing with Shelly and Brett.
No comments:
Post a Comment