Saturday, November 13, 2010

Burned

I alluded to getting burned in the Halloween post, but didn't finish.
So we were at our ward's trunk-or-treat. I had brought boiling hot soup (I didn't realize how stinkin' hot it was until it got spilled). I was trying to maneuver a stroller, a plate, and a hot bowl of soup through a grassy field. I tipped the bowl and the soup spilled on my wrist. (I am soooooo glad it didn't spill on Colton in the stroller.) I tried to wipe the soup off, after the initial shock of the spill. For the rest of the night, I walked around with an ice cold napkin on my wrist, trying to ease the pain. It throbbed the whole night. I didn't want to leave the kids; I wanted to watch them with their trick-or-treating. We also would have had a very difficult time getting the car out of the crowd of people.
Once I got home, I went to the hospital. I could have gone to urgent care, but didn't want to wait. So, instead I went to a hospital that advertised "door to doc in 30." They took care of me in an incredibly timely manner (which I dearly ended up paying for with the bill). I had first and second degree burns on my wrist on an area measuring about 2 x 3 inches. The burn was cleaned and slathered with ointment. I was given two prescriptions. One for silvedine and one for vicadyn. The burn got worse looking over the next two days, but then started getting better. My pain was very minimal. I took tylenol at night; I didn't want to risk losing my beloved sleep. Each morning and night I cleaned the burn, reapplied the cream, and rebandaged my wrist. About a week after the burn, I was cleaning out the garage. It was the first day I had unbandaged my wrist. Big mistake. A box tore open the burn. That was worse than the actual burning. I nearly passed out and threw up. After about an hour of trying to calm down after that, I bandaged up my wrist again and vowed to keep it covered until it was healed. The cream that was prescribed was a complete miracle. It healed my burn amazingly. Each day the burn grew smaller. There really is no scar. I can see where it happened, but no one else would be able to tell where I got burned.








No comments: