We had just gotten to our new house where they had just finished re-pouring the driveway to correct the grading of the property. A wet driveway and Kaylen in flip flops did not mix well, because Kaylen ended up running, falling, and hitting her head on the cement. She was pretty upset, but we figured that she was hungry too, so we headed over to the mall for food. We got her favorite food for her, but she was not interested in it. She cried all through dinner in between trying to go to sleep. This scared me because I knew that if someone has a head injury, they should not go to sleep or that they would be sleepy. We decided that Kaylen needed to go to urgent care. I took Kaylen to urgent care (in the jeep pulling a trailer - I've never driven with a trailer before) with her crying the whole way. Once we got there, Kaylen fell quickly asleep. We amazingly didn't have to wait too long to see a doctor. Once the doctor came in, Kaylen was kind of loopy and confused. She couldn't remember names, what we were doing, or anything that she should have known. The doctor referred us to the hospital (a few hundred dollars just for that!) because he didn't have anyone who could work the machinery to do a cat scan.
I took Kaylen home and Eric traded places with me so I could take care of Colton. Eric and Kaylen went to the newest children's hospital in the valley. When I finally got Colton down, I met up with them at the hospital. It ended up being a late night. Kaylen's head was no longer hurting, but her elbow had begun to hurt. So instead of doing a cat scan, the doctors took xrays of Kaylen's elbow and didn't address the head issue. I left after the xrays because I knew that someone would need to take care of the other kids in the morning and I definitely needed my sleep to do that.
Eric waited and waited for the doctor to come back. When he finally came back, hours later, he couldn't tell from the xrays if the elbow was broken, so he splinted it and told Eric to follow up with an orthopedic surgeon and sent them on their way at 3:00 in the morning. Not impressed.
I was surprised to find that Kaylen had a splint on her arm when I woke up in the morning. Kaylen was so cute to watch with the splint. She adapted quite well to having a big chunky arm. She didn't want to wear the sling, though. The follow-up appointment, for once the swelling should have gone down, wasn't able to be made until a week later. I was frustrated with that, so I called Kaylen's pediatrician and scheduled an appointment with him, just a couple of days after the incident.
When Dr. L took the splint of Kaylen and saw how she moved it, he declared, "There's no way on God's green earth that elbow is broken." He sent us on our way without any further xrays or bills!
It was scary to think that Kaylen could have had a serious head injury. It was frustrating how the whole night went at the hospital. Eric believed that the doctor at the hospital wanted some "reason" to have kept us there the whole night (and charge us the ridiculous amount he did), so he splinted Kaylen. I'm grateful that Kaylen was fine and didn't have anything wrong with her. We have really been fortunate with our family's health. Spencer has needed stitches and every once in a while someone will get a cold, but we have been so blessed to have not had any serious medical issues and I thank my HF for that.
No comments:
Post a Comment