So our summer garden did fairly decent, considering it was my first garden ever. We got a ton of zucchini and squash. I never quite figured out when to pick the canteloupe and watermelon, so they ended up getting too ripe on the vine, eventhough they weren't much bigger than a softball. Towards the end of the summer the tomatoes and bell peppers started producing, but the tomato plants were pretty sun-damaged. I tore up all of the vines that were left from the melons and squash. I tore out all of the tomatoes; they had definitely outgrown their 4 foot tomato cages. I also ripped out a couple of pepper plants to make room for more fall/winter plants.
I loved going out in the early morning (to avoid the still-too-present heat) and working in the garden. I planted two varieties of peas, radishes, romaine lettuce, green onions, cucumbers, and carrots. I planted a few sections every couple of weeks, to attempt to stagger the harvest. By now the peppers were producing quite well, so we were having green and red bell peppers. The basil was also still doing good, it was just a huge bush.
No comments:
Post a Comment