| Our ride |
A few months ago Eric wrote some business with a company located in New York. He mentioned that he'd be needing to go there for "due diligence" and that I'd be able to go with. I never thought it would actually happen. Our last trip to New York 2 years ago started off horribly and kind of made Eric not want to go there again. To my surprise we went there again. I really love New York. I can't quite figure out if I'm a city girl (as I love the city) or if I'm a country girl (I love the small towns in Utah). I guess I'll take the both when I can get it!
We left on Sunday and flew to Newark. We were picked up there by a limo that had been arranged by the company Eric wrote business through. We travelled with one of Eric's business partners (Jason) and his wife (Angela), who we frequently travel with. When we got to the hotel, we were hungry and set off on foot to find a place to eat. Much to Eric's delight, we found a Steak 'n Shake, one of Eric's favorite restaurants we always go to when in Ohio.
| Eric on Wall Street |
Monday morning we woke up and headed downtown for a Wall Street tour that I had arranged. We were supposed to do this tour on our last trip but weren't able to because of travel issues. So this was one thing on our to do list. Monday was the coldest day during our time in New York. We were outside for most of it, through the snow and rain. We even had to buy gloves, umbrellas, and scarves from a vendor and I had to add 2 more pairs of socks to my already 2-socked feet. The tour was ok. The highlight of the tour was going to the Federal Reserve Bank. We were able to go in the vault (86 feet below ground) and see millions of dollars of gold stored there. We also went to the 9/11 Memorial. After the Memorial, we went to Times Square. We found a restaurant there and went to the Nederlander Theater to see Newsies. I enjoyed the show. Eric slept through the first half.
| Me at the 9/11 Memorial |
| Eric driving a bus at the Transit Museum in Brooklyn |
Tuesday morning we headed to Brooklyn to go to the Transit Museum. I really felt out of place coming out of the subway station in Brooklyn. (The last time we were in Brooklyn I didn't feel that way, I guess we picked just the "right" place.) I love the subway and am totally fascinated by it and the incredible building feat that it is. I had hoped to learn more about the building and layout, but ended up learning a little, seeing old photographs, and vintage subway cars (kinda cool). The Museum was actually built in an old subway station, so the tracks were still live and I could hear and feel the trains. We met Jason & Angela for lunch and then headed to Magnolia Bakery for hummingbird cake, a must-do when in Manhattan. I won tickets to see Letterman, so we went to the Ed Sullivan Theater for a taping of Letterman. Unfortunately, I was really disappointed with the whole experience. We waited in line in the theater for at least 30 minutes, packed like sardines in the lobby. The first guest of the show was Sylvester Stallone, who I actually enjoyed. The second was Al Gore, ugh! Between him and Letterman's dumb political comments, Letterman has lost one fan.
After the show Eric's meetings started. We took a taxi to our new hotel, the Waldorf Astoria. Eric went to his meetings. I started eating my hummingbird cake. I was just going to eat one bite, but ended up eating most of it while watching a show on my phone. When Eric was done with his meetings, we went for a walk and I ended up getting some dinner at a convenience type market. There was a large salad bar. I paid by the pound for my salad.
| Magnolia Bakery |
Wednesday morning Eric headed off to meetings while I headed uptown by myself on the subway. I stopped at a Starbucks and got some breakfast, watching the morning crowd. I then went to probably 2 of the busiest subway stations in the city, Times Square and Grand Central. My ultimate destination was the library where I met up with Aaron Olivo with Sidewalks of NY tours. I had arranged a photography tour, which ended up being a private tour. Aaron taught me about photography while walking through the city and Central Park. I enjoyed it. I only wished I had more practice time to put to use what I had learned. After the tour I jumped on the subway and headed to Times Square to see Once. This is one of the newer musicals with rave reviews. Huge disappointment. There was so much swearing that I would have walked out if I hadn't met Jason and Angela there. One redeeming point to the show was a song, "Falling Slowly." After the show Jason and Angela went their separate way and I headed back to the Waldorf. I managed the subway just fine, but when I came out of the station I was turned around and ended up walking around a block or something to get back to the hotel to meet Eric. We went to a Brazilian restaurant, which was good. I found a favorite meal, chicken stroganoff. After dinner we attempted to go back to the hotel via the subway, but after boarding and realizing we weren't going anywhere because there was a broken track in the line, we got off and walked back to the hotel through the rain.
| Central Park |
Thursday morning I woke early and headed off on my own to take pictures. I wanted to put to use what I had learned. I started out to the subway. I entered the wrong station, it was going downtown. I needed uptown, so I wasn't able to take the subway because the machines wouldn't let me in within 18 minutes. I walked to Central Park. It was fun walking the streets and seeing all the people hustling to get to work. It made me wonder what if being a nanny right after high school would have worked out. I had dreamed of being a nanny in New York when I graduated, but it didn't work out. I walked around Central Park, taking pictures. Probably not the smartest ideas, being alone that early in the park, but I did it anyway. I got some ok shots in, I just need things to click a little more with photography. I decided to walk back to the hotel, via Magnolia Bakery. I had hoped to get another piece of cake to take on the plane, but there wasn't one ready. I think next time I'll have to order a whole cake to take home. Eric and I went to breakfast when I made it back to the hotel. We then headed to the airport and home to a very-walking baby.
No comments:
Post a Comment