A few months ago during the 5th Sunday lesson, our new bishop gave the lesson. He asked us to list all the blessings that come from temple attendance. The list was quite long, with at least 25 things listed, ranging from increased testimony to peace at home to prayers answered. How I wish I had written all of these things down! The bishop then asked, "Is it worth 30 minutes of sleep to miss out on all of these promised blessings?" The obvious answer is heck no! That point totally hit home and helped me to realize that I totally need to boost my temple attendance, even it it means that I would have to wake up early and maybe miss 30 minutes to an hour of sleep. Did I do anything with that wonderful knowledge? Unfortunately, I only kept it in the back of my mind and continued my same, crazy lifestyle, rationalizing that I am too busy.
A few months later, I was listening to a conference talk given by Jeffrey R. Holland, which brought tears to my eyes. He was speaking of how grateful he is for all the members of the church who are so willing to serve and give of themselves. He said, "I am grateful for...osteoporotic couples who trundle off to the temple at 5:00 in the morning with little suitcases now bigger than they are." For some reason this also made an impact on my view of temple attendance. The elderly people in the church seem to be so willing to serve in the temple despite the myriad of health problems they might have. My health is fine and I don't use it to serve in the temple, like I should.
Between the two different thoughts, the one from my bishop, and the one from Elder Holland, I set a goal in December to go to the temple three times that month because 1. I am completely capable of going and don't have any health limitations to prevent me from going 2. if the elderly can go to the temple so early in the morning, so can I and 3. I need all the blessings I can get.
I am happy to say that I accomplished my goal. I went to a 7:30 am session one Saturday, and a 7:00 am session another week. On the last day of the month, not that I procrastinated, but I wanted to go with Eric, so we went together to a 9:30 session. It is a joy to serve in the temple. It is such a peaceful place. So, for the new year, I set another temple attendance goal. I will go to the temple two times each month.
Yesterday I made it for the first time this month. It was so good to go, even if it means waking up at 5:30 to get there (I forgot to set my alarm, but automatically woke up at 5:32. Usually I wake up at 6:00 on my own). It always seems that when I go, I see someone that I know. In December, I saw a dear friend, my sweet sister, and our wonderful old stake president. How I love to sit in the celestial room, after the session, and watch the early morning sun coming in through the beautiful windows, reflecting off the sparkling chandeliers, casting such a beautiful light in the whole room. I am excited to go again, to feel the peace, and to serve.
No comments:
Post a Comment