With the kids finishing up another school year, my mind goes back to when I was in school and the celebrations at the end of the year.
In elementary school, we would have water day. We would do water activities outside. The fire department would come and spray all the kids with their hose. The hose would spray so hardly, that it would be painful, but nonetheless, most of the kids loved it. It seems like we'd hang out in our swimming suits in the classroom while we cleaned our desks, took down room decorations, and cleared the floor.
My fifth grade school year, I was able to be the one who took the class pet, a gerbil, home for the summer. I ended up not wanting to return him, so he became our pet.
In junior high we had a party at a local water park, which I opted out of because I'm not much of a water/swimming fan.
In high school, I always attended my classes, never ditching. So when senior ditch day rolled around, I decided I needed to participate. I even participated when I was a junior, by going to a friend's house. We didn't do anything that was exciting or noteworthy. I just think I thought it was cool because I was ditching and I got to hang out with a boyfriend. For my senior year, my bff and I went rollerblading on senior ditch day. We also made an appearance at the senior picnic, but decided it was retarded and left.
This year, my kids have had some end of the year celebrations. Lindsey's have included illegal-snack days, pajama day, an awards assembly, and a graduation ceremony. Spencer hasn't been at school, so he has missed out on anything they've done. I don't think they are doing too much on the last day of school, because he was grumbling about how stupid his class is because they're not doing anything. Logan has been on a field trip (which I couldn't go on because only 1 parent/class was allowed), had a read-a-thon and a game day.
No comments:
Post a Comment